Frequently Asked Questions

How many plants can I grow?
A: 6 total 3 in vegetative state and 3 in flower

Where are the dispensaries?
A: There are no dispensaries in Alaska. It is set up for a caregiver system, like Oregon.

What is a caregiver?
A: A caregiver is someone you designate to provide you with cannabis (a private, personal grower). They will grow the 6 plants allotted to you by the state.

Do I have to have a caregiver?
A: No.

How often do I renew my card?
A: Every year. We recommend seeing the doctor 60 days prior to your card’s expiration so there is no lapse in legal protection.

Can I share with other cardholders?
A: Yes as long as you do not sell medical marijuana, which is illegal in Alaska.

Can another cardholder give me cuttings, clones or seeds?
A: Yes, once again as long as it is not sold.

How can I find out if I qualify to be a medical marijuana patient?
A: Make a call to our clinic at (907) 717-9966, or visit our website at to see if you have a qualifying medical condition. If so, go to our website and click on “Become a Patient” and follow the instructions.

Am I protected if I travel to other states with my Alaska state card?
A: No. Your Alaska state card will not protect you in other states with or without medical marijuana laws, however, there are five medical marijuana states that offer reciprocity, or protection under their state’s law. These states are Arizona, Maine, Michigan, Montana and Rhode Island. When visiting these states you will be fully recognized and protected under their state’s medical marijuana law(s) so long as you have current, valid proof.

Is it legal to travel across state or international borders with my medicine?
A: No, it is not legal to take medical marijuana, marijuana plants or marijuana cuttings across state lines, even those bordering states with medical marijuana laws. This is considered inter-state or inter-national drug trafficking and can be punishable by the law.

Do I have to register with or obtain a card from the state?
A: Yes. The state of Alaska has a marijuana registry and it is mandatory that you register. It is a $25 fee for new applicants and $20 for renewals. The card is valid for one year from the date of issue.

How do I get medical marijuana? Can I buy it?
A: The law allows a qualifying patient to grow their own medicine, or they can designate a provider to grow and supply the medical marijuana for them. It is not legal to buy or sell it. You may legally give it away free to another card-holder.

How much medical marijuana can I have?
A: A qualifying patient or designated provider may have 1 ounce of usable (dried and cured) medical marijuana. They may also grow 6 plants, 3 in vegetative state and 3 in flowering state.

Do I have to smoke medical marijuana to benefit from using it?
A: No, there are many ways other than smoking marijuana one can choose from to gain the medicinal benefits of the plant. Cooking, baking, vaporizing, and making capsules and tinctures are just a few of the alternative methods of medicating that will be discussed later in this resource packet.

How do I become a designated provider?
A: AS 17.37.010(d) A person may be listed as the primary caregiver or alternate caregiver for a patient if the person submits a sworn statement on a form provided by the department that the person
(1) is at least 21 years of age;
(2) has never been convicted of a felony offense under AS 11.71 or AS 11.73 or a law or ordinance of another jurisdiction with elements similar to an offense under AS 11.71 or AS 11.73; and
(3) is not currently on probation or parole from this or another jurisdiction. AS 17.37.010(e) A person may be a primary caregiver or alternate caregiver for only one patient at a time unless the primary caregiver or alternate caregiver is simultaneously caring for two or more patients who are related to the caregiver by at least the fourth degree of kinship by blood or marriage. AS 17.37.010(q) A primary caregiver may only act as the primary caregiver for the patient when the primary caregiver is in physical possession of the caregiver registry identification card. An alternate caregiver may only act as the primary caregiver for the patient when the alternate caregiver is in physical possession of the caregiver registry identification card.

Does having a medical marijuana card protect me from any type of drug screening/testing?
A: No, unfortunately the medical marijuana card does not protect you from any type of drug screening, such as work place drug testing, government drug testing, or being tested by your primary care physician.

Am I allowed to possess a gun and grow marijuana?
A: While the law does not specify if it is legal to possess a gun and grow or possess medical marijuana plants, it is best to use precaution and be smart about it. IF you want to have a gun in the same place your plants are growing, invest in a safe or lock box that you can keep the weapon stored in at all times. This way an officer cannot claim you had intent to use a firearm.

Once I have a medical marijuana card, how do I obtain the medicine?
A: Each state’s medical marijuana law allows patients with the proper documentation to grow, possess and use medical marijuana. There are patient support groups in every medical marijuana state that help provide plants, strains and various forms of medicine, however, THCMC is NOT affiliated or associated with any of these groups. Please check your local area through such venues as local newspapers, Craigslist, grow supply stores, and online.

Is my medical marijuana information private?
A: Yes, the state Medical Maijuana Registry is is private/confidential. it is protected by HIPAA.

How do I provide evidence of residency?
A: Your driver’s license is sufficient to prove residency. You do not need to mail in your license – mailing a photocopy is sufficient.